Many pub quizzes are not achieving their full potential, especially when it comes to making money. There are many ways a successful night can be judged but as a pub your way is the money that flowed behind the bar. Here are 5 fool proof formats that you can use for pub or any quizzes for that matter.
- Host a pub quiz at the weekends. Not for everyone and certainly not if you’re already busy at the weekends. But if you’re a quiet pub maybe in a village or a bit out of town then instead of following the tradition of holding it on week days move it to a Friday or Saturday night. Quiet pubs all too often miss this trick and even busy pubs can miss this opportunity. IF your pub has no extra things at weekends host a quiz then people are more inclined to visit and participate.
- Have different things and ways you can win something in the breaks. Say you have 2 breaks of 10mins in a 2 hr pub quiz why not fill them with light entertainment. Some ideas included open the box accumulator, nearest to the bull and so forth. Whilst one person is going up to get drinks the rest of the team are being entertained.
- Have table rounds. Set out some quick and simple table rounds for the interval. Table rounds are basically mini puzzles and such that are put on the table for people to do. Picture, anagram, story boards and tag-lines are examples of good table rounds. A sneaky one is to put guess the bar snack pictures as these put ideas into people mind to buy them. It is important to note it needs to be explained that the table rounds have nothing to do with the main quiz
- Have bar games. Mini competitions in between some of the rounds are a great way of getting your customers to enjoy the evening. This sort of activity is particularly effective when you are hosting the pub quiz at the weekend. You can, although it is not always recommended, give prizes. The final mark doesn’t have to be all about general knowledge. Some are good at trivia and others better at games and puzzles try to broaden their experience.
- Offer a limited menu. Allow people to have cheaper but quality bar food. All too often you go into pubs and they have a massive food menu on at events night. Reduce the amount for a pub quiz on the menu and make them a pub quiz special giving a proper discount. You’ll get couples with children wanting to have a meal out without the kids before the actual quiz night. Another give other discounts for teams try if possible to stop serving when the pub quiz starts but if doing it at weekends start it at 8:30-9:00 to get the custom from the food.
There are many more ways of making a fun pub quiz profitable but these are just a few simple ideas to try.